Labels

Sunday, April 17, 2011

How far have we really come?

The launch of the Radeon 6990 got me back to thinking about one of the original dual-gpu cards. Before too longI found myself at SharkyExtreme reading their review of the original ATi Rage Fury MAXX. We've come a long way since that 64MB, windows 98-only monster. What a beast it was.
Not long after the crown of the most ludicrous graphics card was taken over by the Voodoo 5 6000. A card I still seek to own one day.
I think what it got me to thinking was how over the past 2 or 3 years while GPU's have been charging ahead, I don't feel particularly more CPU empowered than I did with my overclocked Pentium D.
Great we've got another couple of cores now, but most of the apps I run are still single threaded!

And looking at the recent intel roadmaps are telling me that intel isn't planning on changing that any time before AMD makes them.

Here's hoping for a bulldozer up their behind.

No comments:

Post a Comment