Labels

Thursday, February 24, 2011

Door to door Begging

I'd had people selling services, rallying for my political support this weekend, even asking me to consider converting to their religion.
But not begging for money


So I did what any understanding person he was looking for would do.

I invited him in, pulled some food out of the fridge, and tried to share a meal with him.
His English was fine at the door explaining his problem. "Brother had accident, very sick, no money for food" while he was showing me the bandage under his shirt.

Once I invited him in, his english suddenly took a turn for the worse.
Squeezing his name out of him was tough (Ashaf)

For someone with money problem he wasn't very hungry. When even beggars turned down the food I eat, it has certainly made me think twice as to whether I should be eating it.

I tried to understand more of his story, but I couldn't get much more than his brother was working a car/plane/mangling machine (described holding his arms out moving them up while growling) when his untimely demise resulted in his return to pakistan (?). However ashaf appeared unable to follow his brother to pakistan, and lost his job because of his brother's self-manglement (?) resulting in him now being not very hungry, and needing money for new bandages from the local pharmacy.


So he quickly beat a hasty retreat, relieving himself of my company and showing himself out "Ok, ok".

I think with the next one I will offer them 20 dirhams to clean my apartment.

No comments:

Post a Comment